Friday, October 28, 2011

And now for something completely different..

When brainstorming my vision for this little company and blog, I wanted to make it as all-encompassing as I could.  I have a severe case of design ADHD and did not want to limit the things that I could put out there.  That's why I chose the name that I did.  Creo is comprehensive and much more broad than say, Cathy's Cakes.  Cute, but no, thank you.  I run the risk of being all over the place with my topics.  But, whatever.  The benefit is that hopefully you won't get bored!

When I am not baking or crocheting, house projects consume the creative corners of my mind.  I am all about sprucing up on a dime and LOVE the fellow bloggers out there who are as devoted to this mindset as I.  They are an endless source of inspiration.  This project is one that I completed a year or so ago - but I have been planning it in my head for about 14 years.  Ever since HGTV came into my life and taught me that I can do it too!

We were in need of an ottoman/coffee table/storage, and I loved this one from Crate & Barrel.
But at over $500, it was simply beyond the budget.
So, I knew if I could find a pre-assembled frame, I would be off to the races.  I started a search with ReStore (the Habitat for Humanity store for salvaged and donated materials), but scored on Craig's with a listing from a local thrift store.  They were selling salvaged kitchen cabinets and I found one similar in shape to this one.  I think mine is a little deeper, but you get the gist.  Tip: get a real wood cabinet - it will hold up much longer than manufactured wood products.

Next step was to take off the doors so that I was left with just the frame of the piece.  The one that I bought had lots of old nails in it that were not removed during demo, so I had to carefully remove those.  I then started measuring.  Each surface was measured separately and then I calculated how much total fabric yardage I would need to cover.  I used an indoor/outdoor fabric for extra durability.  I also stuck with a solid so that I wouldn't have to worry about matching up stripes or patterns.  Also needed was upholstery batting and a piece of foam for the top.  I bought 4" thick foam at Joann - and it is very expensive - so I used a coupon to offset that expense.  Lastly, a piece of plywood, a piano hinge, a staple gun and casters.  I took my top measurement with me and Lowe's cut the plywood for me.

I was ready to start assembling.  Here were the steps: 
 - cut 4 panels of batting to match the 4 sides of the frame and stapled to the bottom and inside of the base using a staple gun
 - cut 4 panels of fabric to the dimensions of each of the 4 sides of the base frame.  Left plenty of extra allowance for seams and stapling.  With fabric right side in, sewed the 4 corner seams so that I was left with a fabric box.  Made sure to use a heavy duty needle and upholstery thread in my machine.  Slid the fabric square onto the base (it fit very snuggly) and stapled the edges underneath and inside the top - pulling tightly as I went.  Here is a pick of what the inside looked like after this stage was complete.

 - used spray adhesive to attach the foam cushion to the plywood.  Then covered with batting and stapled, pulling as tightly as the batting allowed without tearing. 
 - cut a panel of fabric for the top and 4 panels for the sides of the top.  Sewed the seams so that I had what looked like a shoe box top.
 - Fit this over the top of the foam and batting, pulled tightly, and starting with the sides, started stapling.  Did the corners last.
 - Screwed on the piano hinge, applied casters and loaded it up! 

Here is my baby - so proud of it!  All for a total of $130.  Heck yeah!!  And you can do it too!!

Well, this was fun!  A little departure from sugar and spice - but still very nice!  Look forward to sharing more projects!  Working on making slipcovers for the dining room chairs now!

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment